- Diabetes is a lifelong condition that causes an individual’s blood sugar level to become too high.
- There are 2 main types of Diabetes
- Type 1 Diabetes – Body’s immune system attacks and destroys insulin producing cells
- Type 2 Diabetes – Body does not produce enough Insulin or the body’s cells do not react to insulin.
- Type 2 Diabetes is far more common in the UK. Around 90% of UK adults with Diabetes have Type 2.
- Diabetes can affect the Eye which causes Diabetic Retinopathy. This is the reason why patients with Diabetes are invited to attend Diabetic Retinopathy screening regularly.